Friday, April 23, 2010

Introduction

Hello Everyone!
First official post of the year. Eventually our camp will have a website, but until then we have our blog & a Facebook page.
For those of you who don't know me, I am Coach Wood. I started throwing shotput & discus as a freshman in high school. I was blessed with excellent coaches (something a little difficult to get in a small rural school) and fell in love with throwing. I was successful as a high school thrower and competed in 3 State competitions. In college I practiced for a short time with ISU's throwing team as a walk on, but being on academic scholarship and having a part time job along with other time constraints I couldn't put in the time I felt was needed to compete at college level. This is when I turned to coaching. I had always wanted to coach and started by helping out my brothers and sister. I coached 2 years for Firth High School then took a year off. I currently coach my little brother and a high school thrower.
My 2 brothers, my sister and I all attended Ironwood Throwing Camp at some time during our throwing careers. I went one year as a camper and 2 as a coach. I can't say enough good things about Ironwood to do it justice. The instruction and comraderie that you experience there is unbelievable. If you can ever attend the camp you should.
The idea for our camp in Eastern Idaho came soon after realizing that not many throwers in the area had the means to attend Ironwood Throwing Camp, but still wanted to become better throwers. Thus the camp was born. With the support and encouragement from my family, my mentor and coach, and help from the Skyline HS throws coach we got the ball rolling and the rest is history. We are in our third year of camp and look forward to meeting many of you throwers out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment